Google's plan is:
- Make sure that the apps Google offers have "85-90% of the functionality" of Office.
- Don't worry about the remaining 10-15% of the features required by power users, particularly Excel.
- Support Office documents as a "first-class citizen."
- Don't try and convince enterprises to convert from Microsoft Office to Google Apps.
- Teach them to become power users.
- Get new customers hooked on products other than Apps.
- Show them how Google's cloud helps mobile workers.
Although I'm a huge proponent and user of Google's office apps for my personal use, there is no alternative to Microsoft Office documents in an enterprise environment. Segregating users into "have's" and "have not's" is going to be extremely difficult.